Minutes of the Directors
Northern California Aerospace Initiative, Inc.
Friday, June 10, 2016 @ 8:30 a.m.
Yuba County Airport
1364 Sky Harbor Drive
Olivehurst, California 95961
A. CALL TO ORDER–The meeting was called to order on Friday, June 10t at 0830 at Yuba County Airport, CA.
- A1. ATTENDANCE–Individuals in attendance were as follows: David Lane, Chris Mahurin, Kevin Bonner, Mike Davis, Vince Haynie, Les Sanders, Mary Hansen, Gill Wright, Daryl Katcher, Col. Tom Sherman, Rick Robinson, Randy Rassmussen
- APPROVAL OF April 22, 2016 REGULAR MEETING MINUTES:
- Motion by Kevin Bonner to approve the April 22, 2016 Regular Meeting Minutes as presented, 2nd by Dave Lane
- Approved 6/0
- COMMENTS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC CONCERNING ITEMS NOT ON THE AGENDA:
- –No Comments
- BOARD MEMBER REPORTS: COMMENTS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC CONCERNING ITEMS NOT ON THE AGENDA:
- Les Sanders shared that the Space Festival will be hosted at the Space Station Museum in Novato on August 6th
- THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS WILL DISCUSS AND/OR TAKE ACTION ON THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- NCAI Bank Account
- Discussion: Mary Hansen presented the recommendation for Suncrest Bank. The Suncrest Board of Directors includes aviators, and the partnership may result in a future pilot/Suncrest member to serve on the NCAI Board of Directors.
- Motion: Motion by Chris Mahurin to approve Suncrest Bank for the NCAI account, and 2nd by Kevin Bonner.
- Approved 6/0
- Build an Airplane Program for Student
- Discussion: David Lane shared that NCAI has now hosted two successful Build-A-Toolbox workshops. Last workshop was Saturday, June 6th, and twelve students participated. David submitted food receipts for reimbursement for NCAI. The program is an introductory class for students who may want to apply for the Build An Airplane program. CORE @ The Camptonville Academy has purchased tool sets from grant funding for the Build –A-Toolbox program. David Lane has a core group of mentors, and continues to gain more mentor support and interest. Next Build-A-Toolbox is scheduled for Saturday, August 12.
- Discussion on the important need to secure funding for Vans RV12 kit. Build-An-Airplane will be launched in the fall, and Fridays may be the primary day for students and mentors to work on the plane. Weekends will be needed at times. Still need to develop an application process for students/parents to complete.
- Fundraising & Outreach Committee
- Discussion: NCAI needs publications to explain the full scope of our mission. Brochures, banners, and a visual flow chart were discussed. Marketing display and publications need to be ready in the fall for NCAI participation in regional events (ex. Golden West Fly-in). Need a photo/historian/journalist to capture NCAI activities. Discussion on the need for a request letter to potential donors. Kevin Bonner and Chris Mahurin will meet to work on a draft flow chart, brochure, and other marketing materials.
- Community, Career, College and K-12 Program updates
- Discussion: NCAI will have a booth at the Lincoln Air Fest on Saturday, June 11th. High school aerospace courses offered to all students in the region through ROP beginning Fall 2016. Spread the word. Gill Wright discussed the benefits to starting a local EAA Chapter. Mr. Wright volunteered to present to interested parents in CORE’s Aerospace STEM Academy on August 16th. Col. Tom Sherman shared that the McClellan Aerospace Museum is offering a Flight Zone education program (3 hour course) for 5th grade – high school students.
- ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING AGENDA:
- Outreach and Fundraising
- Build an Airplane Program
- NEXT MEETING DATE, TIME AND LOCATION:
- Friday, August 12 @ 8:30 a.m. @ Yuba County Airport
- Meeting adjourned at 10 a.m.